report this ad
Just For Fun
Quizzes to Consider
Create a Quiz
Add a New Topic
Locations & Scores
Become a Host
/ Collatz Marathon
Can you name the numbers in this particular hailstone sequence (see note)?
Quiz not verified by Sporcle
Popular Quizzes Today
Boy or Girl Logic Puzzle
Unique First Letter States On a Map
Groups of Five II
NHL States & Provinces
Disney Animated Classics (Redux)
Rate 5 stars
Rate 4 stars
Rate 3 stars
Rate 2 stars
Rate 1 star
ADD to PLAYLIST
How to Play
Forced Order No Skip
Here's how you get from one number to the next: if the current number is odd, multiply by three, then add one. If it's even, divide by two.
Enter '27', would you?
Since it's odd, multiply by 3 then add 1. What do you get?
82 is even, so divide by 2. Now what?
Odd! 41*3 + 1 = ?
Even! 124 ÷ 2 = ?
Even! 62 ÷ 2 = ?
31*3 + 1 = ?
(You were at 94.) Get it?
(47) Can you keep doing this?
(142) I'll keep printing the last number, okay?
(71) Have you noticed the question marks?
(214) Do they bother you?
(107) Would you believe I feel the same?
(322) Is there a way to turn them off?
(484) You know what?
(242) I'm just gonna ignore them. ?
(121) If you'll kindly keep your eyes?
(364) pointed at the entry box,?
(182) you'll have no trouble scrolling?
(91) and you won't be annoyed by the?
(274) question marks. Everyone wins!?
(137) Now that that's settled,?
(412) I'll let you work in silence for a bit.?
(263) I bet you got excited by that 700, right??
(790) I've got some good news and bad news.?
(395) That bad news you're noticing now:?
(1186) these numbers get pretty big!?
(593) The good news is that, eventually?
(1780) (and I'm talking pretty long-term here)?
(890) they'll calm down.?
(1336) Ooh, just one shy of greatness.?
(668) The neighbor of the beast!?
(334) 334.... I got nothing.?
(167) Am I annoying you??
(502) Okay. More silence.?
(958) I'm back!?
(479) Sorry about this one.?
(1438) Whew! Good work.?
(719) Uh oh.?
(2158) Spoiler: this part hurts.?
(1079) Just squeeze my hand if you get scared.?
(3238) Think happy thoughts.?
(1619) Or just think about arithmetic.?
(4858) Interesting fact!?
(2429) The number you're about to type RIGHT NOW?
(7288) is (was) merely the second largest.?
(3644) Hopefully you didn't injure yourself.?
(1822) If so, there's probably someone you can call.?
(2734) Another bit of climbing here.?
(1367) The worst is almost over!?
(4102) I swear.?
(2051) Like, three more steps.?
(6154) Almost there.?
(3077) One more step to the top!?
(9232) I can see my house from here!?
(2308) Smooth sailing from here on out.?
(1154) Relatively, anyway.?
(577) I'll let you enjoy the quiet for a bit.?
(244) Too easy! Am I right??
(122) Now that we're in the easy section,?
(61) I can tell you a bit about this problem.?
(184) It's kind of famous!?
(92) Basically, there was a dude named Collatz.?
(46) A little over seventy years ago,?
(23) he started doing what you're doing now.?
(70) He noticed that wherever he started,?
(35) eventually he'd get to one particular pattern.?
(106) For ages people have tried to prove?
(53) that this always happens.?
(160) And indeed, as far as we can tell, it does.?
(80) (Though sometimes it takes a long time.)?
(40) (Like when you start with 27.)?
(20) But anyway, the (unproven) point is,?
(10) no matter where you start,?
(5) EVENTUALLY, you'll end up?
(16) with the same three repeating numbers?
(8) and they are:?
(1) One! One more time:?
(1) One! Thanks for playing! Enter a 4 to finish.?
report this ad
You're not logged in!
Compare scores with friends on all Sporcle quizzes.
Connect with Facebook
Connect with Google
Sign Up with Email
You Might Also Like...
Sequence Safe Cracker
(warning: may contain spoilers)
Top Quizzes Today in Science
3 Letter Body Parts
Heart Stopping Challenge
Top Quizzes with Similar Tags
Number Sequence Nightmare
Top User Quizzes in Science
US States by Chemical Symbols on a Map
Oceanian Animals (Picture Click)
Sporcle Puzzle Hunt: Science
Your Account Isn't Verified!
In order to create a playlist on Sporcle, you need to verify the email address you used during registration. Go to your
to finish the process.
report this ad
mentally stimulating diversions
Quizzes for your site
Report a Problem
Copyright © 2007-2016 Sporcle, Inc.
Established January 30th, 2007
Go to the Sporcle.com Mobile Site →