report this ad
play quizzes ad-free
Just For Fun
Quizzes to Consider
Create a Quiz
Add a New Topic
Locations & Scores
Become a Host
/ Supreme Court & Equality Cases 5
Can you name the Supreme Court & Equality Cases 5 ?
Quiz not verified by Sporcle
Popular Quizzes Today
Letters Minefield: 50 Capitals Blitz
Rhymes With 'Amp'
Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield
Sporclin' Through the '80s
South American Geography Bunker
Rate 5 stars
Rate 4 stars
Rate 3 stars
Rate 2 stars
Rate 1 star
ADD to PLAYLIST
Renaissance History Match-up
Says victims of civil rights murders by 18 men involved were not given due process (state action); feds will jump in if states wont, even in murder cases
Held that a county court judge was properly convicted under a fed law which forbade racial discrim in juror selection
- Thind from the East Indies, wanted to become citizen, government said he couldn’t because he wasn’t Caucasian; SC once again said you can’t become a citizen either
Upheld voluntary affirmative action program as not violating Title 7 of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
Says UT Law must admit black students; breaking EP clause of 14th; no way law school for blacks is equal to Univ. of Tex Law School
- Aliens who had served in military in WW1 would be granted citizenship – Toyota is denied that right because he is Japanese; SC says he cannot be given citizenship because he is
Upholds court decision for AL State troopers affirmative action plan
won’t agree to taking up arms in oath, says he will only do it if for the greater good of humanity; SC upholds the government, says if you can’t take oath as written you can’
Sex discrimination/Social Security; Soc Sec Act violates 5thAmend (dp clause) - only wife could collect $ if husband died
- Justice Berger writes unanimous opinion: says bussing is a valid method to integrate schools
Held that a black person does not have to be guaranteed a black on jury in order for a fair trial
- Butler didn’t see anything wrong with WA law saying aliens cant own land w/o declaring intent to become citizen– naturalization is normally handed by the federal government;
- Southern schools still fighting the Brown decision – protesting segregation of golf courses, recreation facilities; Court says recreation facilities had to be integrated immedi
Strikes down SF ordinance stating no1 could operate laundry in wooden bldg w/o permit; denys EP by not giving permits to Chinese
Upheld 1870 Enforcement Act & convictions of several who used violence to prevent black from voting
gave black teachers pref over white teachers; since this case involves state action, the agreement since it deals with race must pass the strict scrutiny test
Upholds DC law - no purposeful discrimination; racially neutral; purpose of law was to upgrade communicative ability of police officers, therefore this test (unlike Griggs) had a r
Upheld MS literacy test & poll tax - on paper, there was no discrimination, equal protection clause not technically violated
- Dem. Primary set up “jaybird” dem associations across TX– every election yr hold pre-primary elections (wouldn’t let blacks vote); pre-primary election a violation of 15t
Erected new barriers for workers who try to prove w stats theyre victims of racial discrimination; Salmon industry in Alaska
Stone says the govt had right to convict candidate of election fraud during Primary, conviction stands – any federal law dealing with elections also covers primary because they a
Equal protection clause = state highway; Stewart says GA was involved bc murder took place on GA highway; Right to travel freely state to state (14th amendment)
- Group of blacks arrested for breaching the peace after sitting in at a bus station – fed law says there can be no segregation in interstate facilities
- States were told from this case on, they cannot exclude women from juries just because they’re women; 6th amend. – supposed to have jury composed of cross-section of the comm
- Bland says she will only agree to take up arms if her Christian conscience allows; SC upholds government, says no
Struck down law uw school board couldnt require students to attend schools other than closest to homes
- In a deportation case, do individuals have same rights as in criminal case? Brandies – deportation is a civil manner, not entitled to rights in a federal criminal court
- Black says there needs to be a set ratio of black-white teachers
- When applying for citizenship, refuses to promise to take up arms in oath bc of religion; Court upholds govt – if she cant take oath she cant be citizen
report this ad
hide this ad
You're not logged in!
Compare scores with friends on all Sporcle quizzes.
Connect with Facebook
Connect with Google
Sign Up with Email
You Might Also Like...
US Supreme Court Justices
John Paul Stevens Justices
US Supreme Court (Redux)
(warning: may contain spoilers)
Top Quizzes Today in History
History in Color
On This Day: February 26th
Letters Minefield: US Presidents
Top Quizzes with Similar Tags
Supreme Court Justice or New York Yankee?
Top User Quizzes in History
100 Years of Historical Figures
The War Bunker!
Multi-Category Minefield Blitz: History
Unite the Quotes!
Your Account Isn't Verified!
In order to create a playlist on Sporcle, you need to verify the email address you used during registration. Go to your
to finish the process.
report this ad
play quizzes ad-free
mentally stimulating diversions
Quizzes for your site
Report a Problem
Copyright © 2007-2017 Sporcle, Inc.
Established January 30th, 2007
Go to the Sporcle.com Mobile Site →