report this ad
play quizzes ad-free
Just For Fun
Quizzes to Consider
Create a Quiz
Add a New Topic
Locations & Scores
Become a Host
/ Supreme Court & Equality Cases 2
Can you name the Supreme Court Case?
Quiz not verified by Sporcle
Popular Quizzes Today
Letters Minefield: 50 Capitals Blitz
Rhymes With 'Amp'
Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield
Sporclin' Through the '80s
South American Geography Bunker
Rate 5 stars
Rate 4 stars
Rate 3 stars
Rate 2 stars
Rate 1 star
ADD to PLAYLIST
How to Play
'H' in History
- Florida said women can be exempt from juries simply because they’re women. Court allows FL to keep women off juries – rationale is the “old fashion” look at women that wo
- NY wouldn’t let Puerto Ricans vote because their English wasn’t good enough/couldn’t pass English literacy test. Court upholds Congress’ right to stick this into the Civi
- Due process clause of the Fifth Amendment, and the 1877 Civil Rights Act said that public policy does not permit a federal court to enforce an agreement that a state court could
Automobile manufacturer company couldn't bar women from working due to health risk to fetus - violation of Title 7 of 1964 Civil Rights Act.
- Southern Railway Company (interstate commerce railroad) said they can’t afford two dining cars, set 10 tables for whites and 1 for blacks. Court says this is a violation of 188
OK Grandfather Clause: could automatically vote w/o literacy test if ancestor voted before 1866; since blacks couldn't take advantage, violated 15th amend.
- Newcann county said children can go to any public school they want (‘freedom of choice’). Not one white kid went to the local black school, only 15% of black kids ventured to
- Sex discrimination; follow-up to Geduldig case (again looked at failure of a disability plan to cover pregnancy – except that this was a private company and not a state, so ins
- Gaston County sued to reinstate literacy tests. Court says you can’t bring a court case to bring literacy tests back, because your state still has unequal education
- Transportation Agency gave women and minorities preferential treatment in hiring (voluntary affirmative action plan). Court says there is nothing wrong with an employer voluntary
- California had a disability insurance plan covering every possible thing that takes you away from work except pregnancy and childbirth. Court allows CA to continue doing this –
Title VII does not apply extraterritorially to regulate the employment practices of United States firms that employ American citizens abroad. Petitioners' evidence, while not total
- Brennan: found the Denver school board has deliberately segregated one section of the city; concludes that this led to segregated schools in inner city, therefore segregation was
- any job besides manual labor requires IQ test which blacks did not score as well on, so ended up w lowest paying jobs. Court unanimously agreed company violated Title 7. Test was
Court held that 1965 Voting Rights Act did indeed apply to judicial elections
- Texas Democratic State Committee prevents blacks from voting in primary election. Since Texas doesn’t have state law for white primary, they are not violating the 14th amendmen
*- Blacks used “sit ins” as a common protest tactic against segregation - Cops didn’t know what to charge them with – said they were “breaching the peace” but didn’t
- Michigan passed law that said no women can be bartenders in state. Frankfurt says Michigan proved law – when women serve as bartenders, might find moral & social problems cropp
After consent decree to hire more black firefighters, says City of Memphis seniority system for layoffs not a Title 7 Violation
Congress has right under 13th amend. To pass laws to end the “badges and incidence of slavery” – if you can’t buy a home because of your race, you’re then confined to the
- Virginia county decided the best way to not integrate public schools would be to shut them down (for 5 years). Court says schools must be reopened and integrated immediately –
- Florida had law to encourage older people to live in Florida – says if you are a Florida resident and become a widow, we will exempt you from paying the property taxes; if you
Upheld federal law requiring 10% of fed govt $ to states for pub. works be 4 minority contractors
- *If your case was finalized before Batson decision, you cannot use it (can if still in appeals stage)
- Congress wrote Civil Rights Act in 1964 saying you can’t discriminate on basis of race. End of sit in cases – there is nothing to be gained from prosecuting “sit in” peop
Unanimously upholds curfew imposed on Japanese citizens & aliens -- Const. gives pres & Congress rights to act as necessary to prevent espionage & sabotage
- Question over the punishment of a person who helped slaves to escape. Justice Woodbury once more upheld the 1793 Fugitive Slave Act and he also stressed that the Court had no cho
- Ed. dept said City was not treating men & women equally, so put end to federal $$. City argued fed money shouldnt be cut off for all programs (only athletics). Court said City wa
If you can't make people pay money to vote in federal elections (24th Amend.), you can't in state elections either (equal protection clause); Ends poll tax in country
married men and married women must be treated the same in regard to fringe benefits; any classification based on sex should be treated like race (use strict scrutiny test)
report this ad
hide this ad
You're not logged in!
Compare scores with friends on all Sporcle quizzes.
Connect with Facebook
Connect with Google
Sign Up with Email
You Might Also Like...
Chief Justices (US)
John Paul Stevens Justices
'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' States
(warning: may contain spoilers)
Top Quizzes Today in History
On This Day: February 25th
30 in 60: US Presidents
Win the Presidential Election Minefield
Top Quizzes with Similar Tags
Supreme Court Justice or New York Yankee?
Top User Quizzes in History
100 Years of Historical Figures
Union Army Yearbook (Picture Click)
Alea iacta est
🦅 FAKE! Presidents
Your Account Isn't Verified!
In order to create a playlist on Sporcle, you need to verify the email address you used during registration. Go to your
to finish the process.
report this ad
play quizzes ad-free
mentally stimulating diversions
Quizzes for your site
Report a Problem
Copyright © 2007-2017 Sporcle, Inc.
Established January 30th, 2007
Go to the Sporcle.com Mobile Site →