If you’re planning any parties in the near future you might be trying to find ways to impress your friends and other party goers. Unfortunately the scariest part of Halloween might be realizing you’re cosmically uninteresting; so to make up for it you use cool facts to impress people. Maybe that’s just us. Don’t think about it; instead here are some scary trivia facts you can spice up spooky night with. Or you’ll just have an existential crisis. One or the other.
20 Scary Trivia Facts
1. Alaska has the highest rate of serial killer victims; with almost 7 deaths per 100,000 people.
2. Speaking of Alaska, serial killers are probably responsible for more deaths than originally thought–by almost a factor of 10.
3. As of 2015, almost one third of murders go unsolved. To be more specific, the FBI says 64.1 percent of homicides reach “clearance.” While this includes convictions, it also includes scenarios where the suspect cannot be arrested for whatever reason or even arrests that don’t result in convictions.
4. Rats have kings. Except instead of leading a nation, rat kings are actually just a bunch of rats whose tails have been tangled together in a big rat mess.
5. A headless chicken named Mike lived for 18 months without a head.
6. Caecilians are lungless animals that literally look like the chestburster from Alien.
7. This is kind of good news. If you’ve heard that you have 3-10 times more bacteria cells in/on your body than you cells, that estimate is likely wrong. However, there are probably still roughly as many bacteria cells as there are you cells.
8. Empty homes outnumber individual homeless persons way more than you probably are comfortable with. There were over 17 million vacant homes and 550,000 homeless as of 2019.
9. Most of those homes are just owned by banks too.
10. The Paris Catacombs hold the remains of more than 6 million people.
11. In 1518 there was a dancing plague where a bunch of people just danced for days on end.
12. The annual rate of inflation is about 5% in the USA. Which means if you didn’t get a raise greater than 5% you effectively got a pay cut–since the real value of your money is less.
13. You probably eat like 140,000 bug bits a year, since the acceptable amount of bug bits in your food according to the FDA is a number that is not equal to 0.
14. Because the US draft and drinking ages are not the same (18 and 21, respectively), you can be forced to go to war before you are legally allowed to have a cold one with the boys.
15. There’s a void in space so vast it’s called the Great Nothing. It’s 330 million light years of absolute emptiness.
16. There’s probably a lot of plastic inside you right now.
17. 100 companies are responsible for like 71% of all emissions.
18. The Bone Church is a church decorated with a bunch of bones. Though it’s more formally referred to as the Sedlec Ossuary.
19. The Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disneyland once had real skeletons.
20. Europeans used to eat mummies.
More miscellaneous trivia facts here.