20 Star Wars Trivia Facts to Shoot First With
If the 4th was with you, then now it’s the revenge of the 5th. Which just means that if we really try to make it happen, we can make every day Star Wars Day. At the end of the day, isn’t that the real power of the Force? Not midi-chlorians or whatever they chose to go with in the prequels. Anyway while we ponder what all of this even means, why don’t we just look at some spacefaring Star Wars trivia? Stuff Disney made non-canon is still fair game if it’s weird or entertaining enough.
Further Reading: Star Wars Day – May The Fourth Be With You
1. The “Han Shot First” scene from A New Hope has been changed like 4 different times–which means there are 5 different versions of it. The most recent was in 2019, when A New Hope was released on Disney+.
2. Alec Guinness (Obi Wan in A New Hope) really didn’t like being known primarily for Star Wars. Ewan McGregor (Obi Wan in the prequels) quite likes it, though. There really is always balance to the Force.
3. R2-D2 and C-3PO are the only characters who make appearances in every trilogy.
4. Anthony Daniels is pretty protective about being C-3PO and plays the droid in many obscure versions of Star Wars. Including Monopoly Star Wars.
5. Darth Vader was itchy all the time. Just always itchy. Plus he’s mostly robot so he can’t really scratch the itches either.
6. Because Vader’s cybernetics were so uncomfortable, he basically didn’t sleep either.
7. Nobody knows what Yoda is.
8. In the current Star Wars canon, only 3 named characters of Yoda’s species exist. They’re Yoda, Yaddle, and Grogu. Yes. Yaddle is from the prequels. She is real. Other members of Yoda’s species are referenced in the out-of-canon Legends–but it’s still super ambiguous as to what their species actually is.
9. TIE fighter noises are just elephant noises and the noise cars make on wet pavement merged together.
10. R2-D2 used to speak English, but eventually sentences were replaced by beeps and boops. He calls C-3PO a “mindless, useless philosopher,” so maybe he just got censored.
11. While purple lightsabers mean something in Star Wars canon, purple was originally added as a color because Samuel L. Jackson wanted a purple one.
Further Reading: What Do Lightsaber Colors Mean?
12. Apparently Adam Driver recorded some of his last lines as Kylo Ren in The Rise of Skywalker in his closet. Which is… Surprisingly fitting?
13. Alright, it’s Star Wars adjacent, but Disney owns both Star Wars and the Marvel Cinematic Universe so it’s fair game. Kevin Feige (president of Marvel) really likes Star Wars. That’s why like every MCU film after Iron Man 3 has someone lose a hand or arm as an homage to The Empire Strikes Back.
14. Those cute porgs from The Last Jedi apparently exist only because the crew ran into problems with puffins showing up on camera. It definitely helps that Disney could use them to sell toys.
15. Speaking of toys, Jon Favreau, who produced The Mandalorian, really wanted Baby Yoda to be a secret. That’s why merchandise was slow to roll out, since leaks come out pretty often through merchandise catalogues.
16. George Lucas made Carrie Fisher act without a bra because “there’s no underwear in space.” That’s why she wrote “I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra” in Wishful Drinking.
17. While the word “ewok” is used in The Return of the Jedi’s script, nobody says it out loud.
18. The communicator and midi-chlorian scanner in The Phantom Menace is a Gillete razor.
19. Ewan McGregor couldn’t stop making lightsaber noises on set.
20. Also Laura Dern couldn’t stop saying “pew.”
See if you can point out all the stuff that shows up in Star Wars here.