People aren’t the best at naming things–especially when it comes to doing so in good taste. At least it means we get a fun list of weirdly named places in the United States. You probably know a handful off the top of your head. And we are going to avoid the ones that are just straight up slurs. Because there are like 1,000 of them. Anyway, here are some funny and unusual place names in America.
10 More Unusual Place Names in America
1. Poo Poo Point, Washington – Housed in Washington, Poo Poo Point is actually a quite disappointing summit off the West Tiger Mountain. The name was given by loggers way back when Americans were still manifesting their destinies.
2. Lake Chaubunagungamaug, Massachusetts – Given how absurdly long the name of this lake is, it’s no surprise that Lake Chaubunagungamaug is also known as Webster Lake, given that it’s in Webster, Massachusetts. Believe it or not, there’s an even longer version of this lake’s name. Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, derived from Loup (an Algonquian language), which can be translated as “lake divided by islands.”
3. Columbus, Ohio – Well yeah, given some of the pretty dark things Columbus did after making landfall in America, those actions would be pretty unfortunate to be named after. But here’s the best part, there’s an active petition to rename Columbus, Ohio to Flavortown, Ohio as of 6/22/2020.
4. North Pole, Alaska & New York – Yeah Alaska decided it was so cold it was going to name a town there North Pole, despite there being a North Pole. And New York has one too! They get the excuse of it being a theme park, though. We guess you got a nice two-for-one with this name.
5. No Name Creek, Colorado & Washington – Fun fact, there are actually 2 No Name Creeks in Colorado, and 3 in Washington. We’re not sure why Washington has a No Name Creek, but Colorado’s is thanks to a placeholder name for an exit off I70. Then came the No Name town, canyon, tunnel, and the like.
6. Mars, Pennsylvania – Well if you always wanted to go to space, heading out to Mars might be the best solution. They even call themselves Martians. Nobody tell them it’s actually just Pennsylvania.
7. Moon, Pennsylvania – Before going to Mars, you might want to make a stop by the Moon first. You know, training and all. It’s also in Pennsylvania, so maybe they just have a thing for space?
8. George, Washington – People who live in Washington know that George Washington was born in Virginia, right?
10. Pee Pee Creek, Ohio – If we begin with Poo Poo, it is only fitting that we end with Pee Pee. Oh, and if you want to go on a road trip from Poo Poo Point to Pee Pee Creek, it’s like a 36 hour drive. Hopefully there’s a rest stop!
And for more funny town names in America, look here.
Quiz yourself: Can you put these cities in order of North to South?