Given that we’re in the Star Wars month and Star Wars: The Clone Wars reaches its close, we thought it would be fun to reflect on the wisdom of a fan favorite—the old guy that died back in 1977’s A New Hope. Okay, so thankfully we got to know Obi-Wan Kenobi a lot better in the prequels and other media that followed. And we might learn even more about Old Ben if this rumored Ewan McGregor series ever happens. But before we get there, let’s take a look back at some of the best Obi-Wan quotes from the Star Wars universe.
You might also like: The 25 Best Han Solo Quotes
16 Obi-Wan Quotes That Will Give You the Force
1. “The Force will be with you, always.”
Imagine having ghosts come give you advice anytime things got rough? Might be kinda nice actually.
2. “Luke, you’re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.”
“You heard what you wanted to hear, believe what you wanted to believe.”
You know, when you really think about it, it’s kind of a shame that morally grey areas are a less-explored aspect of the Star Wars films.
3. “If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess…then you have nothing.”
Remember Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace–the movie about space politics? If you never got the chance to watch The Clone Wars, Darth Maul actually comes back for revenge against Obi-Wan for taking his legs. At the same time, Obi-Wan suffers conflicted feelings since Maul kills his master.
Anyway, it’s nice to know that Obi-Wan’s wisdom extends outside of the original trilogy.
4. “These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.”
Okay, seriously though, people say this all the time. Unfortunately for your friends trying to hide the pizza, Jedi mind tricks don’t really work in real life.
5. “For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.”
Nobody tell him how kind of weirdly screwed up the Jedi Order is. You know, with all that emotional suppression and stuff?
6. “You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness! You were my brother, Anakin! I loved you!”
This line probably hit harder if you bought into Obi-Wan and Anakin being friends during the prequel trilogy.
7. “The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the Galaxy together.”
And then Qui-Gon had to go ahead and talk about those midi-chlorian things.
8. “Who is more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?”
“Fool me once, shame on you? Fool me twice… Well you can’t get fooled again.”
9. “Hello there!”
Well we had to mention some memes right?
10. “Only a Sith deals in absolutes.”
Just keep this in your back pocket when someone says your favorite movie is absolutely terrible. Or something.
11. “You want to go home and rethink your life.”
Okay… But what if we’re already home and suffering from an existential crisis?
12. “So what I told you was true… from a certain point of view.”
Your friends (or maybe you, you scoundrel) have definitely used this line has an excuse for lying before.
13. “Why do I get the feeling that you’re going to be the death of me?”
Nobody tell him what happens in A New Hope.
14. “You can kill me, but you will never destroy me. It takes strength to resist the Dark Side.”
This was not the last time Obi-Wan would go on about dying and coming back stronger. Maybe he actually had some kind of weird death wish, or something.
15. “I have the high ground!”
Nobody questions the authority of the high ground. Don’t even try it.
16. “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.”
And then you get to watch two washed-up Jedi fight.
Hey remember that time in A New Hope when Obi-Wan was introduced with this really weird sound effect that was never addressed again? Anyway here’s an Obi-Wan quiz.