- In general, images should be resized to be no larger than 200px in either width or height.*
- Whenever possible, all question images should have identical dimensions to one another (but not necessarily matching answer images). †
- Whenever possible, all answer images should have identical dimensions (but not necessarily matching question images). †
- Even if you don’t want text displayed along with your images, please add text to your questions & answers to ensure the results page for your quiz is not blank. You can achieve this by populating the text in the Data tab and using the ‘Hide question text on quiz page’ and/or ‘Hide answer text on quiz page’ checkboxes on the Options tab.
*The exception to this is the rare type of quiz in which images are explicitly intended to be narrow strips taking up the full quiz width – such as in this quiz. In this case, please keep your images at or below 918 x 150px in size.
† Unless the images require specific dimensions, like national flags.
- Slideshow images should not be larger than 640 pixels in width or 480 pixels in height. You may use any proportions/aspect ratio for the images.
- Slideshow images should also be at least 300×300 pixels in size, in order to be large enough to be consistently visible.
- Whenever possible, each image in your slideshow should have identical dimensions.
Multiple Choice Quizzes
- The ideal size for GTP images is 275×150 pixels, which fits the precise dimensions of the buttons. When possible, please aim for these dimensions, and do not exceed 275×150 with your image sizes.
- If your images are smaller than 275×150, please keep the dimensions identical between the choices within each question. For example, if you have 4 choices and the first one is 200×150, make the other 3 choices 200×150 images as well.
- When selecting a set of images, we prefer quizzes where all of the images in each question have a matching aesthetic. For example, all having the same color background, or all being full color photos (rather than a mixture of photos and clipart, etc).
- Even if you don’t want text displayed along with your images, please add text to your questions & answers to ensure the results page for your quiz is not blank. You can achieve this by populating the Question Text/Answer Text in the Data tab and using the ‘Hide question text on quiz page’ and/or ‘Hide answer text on quiz page’ checkboxes on the Options tab.
Map/Picture Click Quizzes
- Map & Picture click quizzes use only a single images, and it should be smaller than 920 pixels wide.
- It’s generally good practice to avoid extremely tall images that would require a lot of scrolling for players in these formats.
Picture Box Quizzes
- Picture Box quizzes are arranged quite differently from other image-based quiz types. Please see this blog post about Picture Box formatting.
- As with Multiple Choice quizzes, it’s a good idea to choose images within your Picture Box quiz that all have the same aesthetic (matching backgrounds, etc.)
- While editing a quiz, you have the option to set a Quiz Icon on the Presentation tab. These icons should be at least 1200×630 pixels in size, and you should avoid images with white backgrounds (due to their placement on the white background of the Sporcle homepage when published).
- Please avoid hotlinking to image URLs that you find on the web, as they may change or disappear, breaking your quiz. You should always save & host your images with a site like Imgur – which is free and very dependable, and your images should always remain available when uploaded there.
- When resizing images for your quizzes, be careful not to stretch or squash the image from its original proportions. This can typically be achieved using a combination of both resizing & cropping your image.
- Avoid using photos with watermarks.
- If you need help with any of the aspects covered in this post, feel free to post a question in our groups and other users and/or staff will be happy to assist!