It may seem like a straightforward question – what states border arizona? – but the answer is actually a source of debate. We’ll break the issue down in this post.
What States Border Arizona?
Below is a list of Arizona’s borders.
- New Mexico
Arizona is part of the Four Corners region of the United States. The Four Corners area is named after the quadripoint where the boundaries of Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico all meet. Bordering Arizona to the west is Nevada and California. Arizona is located on the US/Mexico border, and also shares borders with the Mexican states of Sonora and Baja California.
Should Colorado Count as an Arizona Border?
Many argue that Colorado should not count as a border of Arizona. The main argument being that the two states meet only at a single point – the northeast tip of Arizona touches the southwest tip of Colorado. However small this point of intersection is, there is no denying that the two states do, in fact, touch. For this reason, Arizona is typically considered a bordering state of Colorado.
Other Facts About Arizona
- Arizona is the sixth largest and the 14th most populous of the 50 states.
- Its capital and largest city is Phoenix.
- Much of the territory of Arizona was ceded to the US from Mexico in 1848 after the Mexican-American War.
- The southernmost part of the state was acquired by the US in 1853 via the Gadsden Purchase.
- Arizona is the 48th state and last of the contiguous states to be admitted to the Union, achieving statehood in 1912.
- Arizona is home to many national forests, national parks, and national monuments, including Grand Canyon National Park.
- About 25% of Arizona is made up of Indian reservations, serving as home to 27 federally recognized Native American tribes, including the Navajo Nation.
- The Navajo Nation is the largest tribe in the United States, with more than 300,000 citizens.
- Arizona is known as “The Grand Canyon State”.
If you liked this post, you might enjoy these others from the Sporcle Blog:
- What States Border the Mississippi River?
- What Countries Border France?
- Why Doesn’t Arizona Observe Daylight Saving Time?
- Memorable John McCain Quotes