In the world of pub trivia, choosing the perfect team name is one of the most important things you can do. But great names don’t grow on trees, so it always helps to have some inspiration to draw from. And it turns out that movies can be an excellent source of material.
Below you’ll find a list of the American Film Institute’s list of 100 Years…100 Movies – 10th Anniversary Edition. These are what they consider to be the 100 greatest movies of all time. Using these films, we’ve put together a list of movie trivia team names – one name inspired by each film.
Fair warning: some films and franchises naturally lend themselves to good content. There are countless Disney Trivia Team Names or Star Wars Trivia Team Names, for example. Team names for Schindler’s List or Platoon or Saving Private Ryan have the strong potential to border on being insensitive, and would be hard to do right. But even serious films have actors or actresses that could lend themselves to a punny or witty team name. So even if your favorite film is The Deer Hunter, you could still make a Christopher Walken or Robert De Niro name pun.
On that note, here is our list of 100 movie trivia team names.
100 Movie Trivia Team Names
1. Citizen Kane – Orson Welles, Welles, Welles
2. The Godfather – Luca Brasi Sleeps with the Quizzes
3. Casablanca – Of All the Trivia Shows in All the Towns in All the World, She Walks into Mine
4. Raging Bull – Raging Bull? You Mean Sparring Partner?
5. Singin’ in the Rain – Quizzin’ in the Rain
6. Gone with the Wind – Not a Single Damn was Given that Day
7. Lawrence of Arabia – Nothing Is Written
8. Schindler’s List – Helium Neeson
9. Vertigo – Verti-Go-Get-Me-Another-Drink
10. The Wizard of Oz – The Quizard of Oz
11. City Lights – Charlie Chaplin’s Angels: Silent but Deadly
12. The Searchers – Put Up Your Dukes
13. Star Wars – My Wookie Steak Is Chewie
14. Psycho – A Boy’s Best Friend is His Trivia Host
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey – The Shallow Hal’s
16. Sunset Blvd. – We’re Ready For Our Close-Up
17. The Graduate – To the Team in Back, You’re Trying to Seduce Me. Aren’t you?
18. The General – We Have Loco Motives
19. On the Waterfront – I Coulda Been a Contender…If I Knew More Answers
20. It’s a Wonderful Life – It’s a Punderful Life
21. Chinatown – Forget it, Jake. It’s Pub Trivia
22. Some Like It Hot – The Fuzzy End of the Lollipop is Yummy
23. The Grapes of Wrath – The Movie Was Better
24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial – E.T.’s Phone Bill is Out of this World
25. To Kill A Mockingbird – Tequila Mockingbird
26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington – We Will Not Yield!
27. High Noon – Beer O’ Clock
28. All About Eve – It’s Going to be a Bumpy Night
29. Double Indemnity – A Thorn in Noir Side
30. Apocalypse Now – Apocalypse Meow
31. The Maltese Falcon – The Stuff That Trivia Is Made Of
32. The Godfather: Part II – We Know it Was you Fredo
33. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – We’ll Take Our Medication Orally
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – Whistle While You Twerk
35. Annie Hall – La-dee-da, La-dee-da
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai – The Quiz on the River Kwai
37. The Best Years of Our Lives – The Best Years of our Lives Were Spent in Dank Bars Playing Pub Trivia
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre – We Ain’t Got No Badges!
39. Dr. Strangelove – or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Trivia
40. The Sound of Music – It’s A von Trrap!
41. King Kong – The Larry King Kongs
42. Bonnie and Clyde – We Rob Banks!
43. Midnight Cowboy – HEY! I’m Quizzin’ Here!
44. The Philadelphia Story – Tom Dranks
45. Shane – The Low-Down Yankee Liars
46. It Happened One Night – Classic Cool
47. A Streetcar Named Desire – A Streetcar Named Streetcar McStreetcar Face
48. Rear Window – Dwayne “The Alfred Hitchcock” Johnson
49. Intolerance – Quiet on the Set
50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – Drinking Is a Nasty Hobbit of Mine
51. West Side Story – Snapping is a Legit Form of Gang Violence
52. Taxi Driver – Robert De Niro, De Faro, Wherever You Aro
53. The Deer Hunter – Christopher Walken on Sunshine
54. M*A*S*H – M*A*S*H Hysteria
55. North by Northwest – North by Northwasted
56. Jaws – The Shark Side of the Moon
57. Rocky – Ain’t Gonna Be No Rematch
58. The Gold Rush – Charlie’s Chums
59. Nashville – The Damnedest Team You Ever Saw!
60. Duck Soup – Freedonia’s Finest
61. Sullivan’s Travels – Where Is This Train Going?
62. American Graffiti – Pinky’s Pizza
63. Cabaret – Divine Decadence Darling
64. Network – I’m as Mad as Hell, and I’m Not Going to Take This Anymore!
65. The African Queen – Bogart’s Buddies
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark – It’s Not a Man Purse, It’s a Satchel!
67. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? – We’re Not Afraid of Virginia Woolf
68. Unforgiven – Clint Westwood
69. Tootsie – Bill You Murray Me?
70. A Clockwork Orange – My Three Droogs
71. Saving Private Ryan – America Wastes Billions Retrieving Matt Damon Characters
72. The Shawshank Redemption – Get Busy Quizzin’
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid – Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Quiz
74. The Silence of the Lambs – We Ate our Buffalo Wings with Some Fava Beans
75. In the Heat of the Night – They Call Me Mister Quiz!
76. Forrest Gump – I’m Not a Smart Man
77. All the President’s Men – We’d Wiretap That
78. Modern Times – The Little Tramps
79. The Wild Bunch – Marky Mark and the Wild Bunch
80. The Apartment – The Junior Executive Model
81. Spartacus – I am Smarticus
82. Sunrise – Shhh…We’re Trying to Watch a Silent FIlm
83. Titanic – There Was Room For Jack
84. Easy Rider – Queasy Rider
85. A Night at the Opera – The Groucho Marxists
86. Platoon – You Had Me at Dafoe
87. 12 Angry Men – 12 Intoxicated Men
88. Bringing Up Baby – Cary Grant Me One Wish
89. The Sixth Sense – I See Dumb People
90. Swing Time – Stop Fred Astaire-ing at Me
91. Sophie’s Choice – Streep Smarts
92. Goodfellas – Ray Liotta’s Laugh
93. The French Connection – Doyle Fights Dirty
94. Pulp Fiction – Check Out the Big Brain on Brad
95. The Last Picture Show – Jeff Golden Gate Bridges
96. Do the Right Thing – Do the Right Thing and Let us Win
97. Blade Runner – Blade Runner Puns are Hard to Replicate
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy – The Yankee Doodle Dandiest
99. Toy Story – We’re A Little Buzzed
100. Ben-Hur – Ben-Hur An Hour and Still No Drinks
Can you think of any better names for any of these movies? Let us know in the comments below and they might get added to the post!
And if you need more trivia team name inspiration, you can click here to find more!