Known as the ‘Mile High City’, Denver, Colorado, boasts some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. With access to multiple ski resorts, a thriving art scene, and four major professional sports teams, this capital of the Centennial State has much to offer both residents and tourists alike. However, did you know Denver is also filled with some pretty cool trivia?
Here are five fun facts about Denver you can share with friends at your next Denver Broncos Super Bowl Party.
1. The Cheeseburger was trademarked in Denver. That’s right, one of the most American foods ever was patented by Humpty Dumpty Barrel Drive-in owner, Louis Ballast, on March 5th, 1935. There’s even a stone marker on the Northwest side of town that commemorates where Ballast’s restaurant once stood and the importance of his contribution to American cuisine.
2. Denver brews more beers daily than any other city in the United States. For all the craft brew fans out there, Denver is the place to be. There are more craft breweries than anywhere else in the U.S. and over 200 different beers are brewed there every single day.
3. It is actually illegal to loan your vacuum to your neighbor in Denver, Colorado. It may not be strictly enforced by authorities, but it is still a law that exists to this day.
4. This city was the only one in the U.S. to ever decline the invitation to host the Winter Olympics. Citing high infrastructure costs, and simply not wanting to house the unbelievable crowd that follows the Winter Games, Denver citizens voted to withdraw their bid to host the event in 1976.
5. The city was “bought” from St. Charles Town for a barrel of whiskey. Denver was once made up of three separate towns, one of which was St. Charles Town. But Denverites weren’t having it, so they offered one of the St. Charles representatives a barrel of whiskey – and a threat of a hanging – in exchange for the title to the land.
Clearly, this particular city is a lot more than just sports and the outdoors. It has a very rich history that often gets overlooked since it was only founded a little over 150 years ago. And even though it may not be as old as cities like New York or Boston, there are still plenty of interesting characteristics that make Denver one of the most unique in the U.S.