…Or Elves, if the furry-footed inhabitants of Hobbiton aren’t your cup of tea.
As Boromir would say, one does not simply walk up to an attractive stranger. The well-prepared suitor needs some way to break the ice–and pick up lines are by far the most popular method. Here at Sporcle, we like to believe that even an Orc could get a date with sharp enough wit.
While we can’t promise that everyone you choose to use these on will be wooed by your incredible Middle-earth knowledge, we can guarantee that if anyone makes a Tinder-style dating app for Tolkein fanatics (may we recommend the name “Tolkeinder”?), you’ll be way ahead of the pack.
*Warning: Sporcle is not liable for emotional damages incurred from these lines if mistakenly used on a non-LOTR fan.
1. “The fires of Mount Doom aren’t nearly as hot as you are.”
2. “Are you Gandalf? Because you have me seeing fireworks.”
3. “Was your face forged by Sauron? ‘Cause you’re preciousssss.”
4. “Speak, friend, and enter… your number into my phone.”
5. “Excuse me, are you the Arkenstone? Because you look like something I could treasure.”
6. “You shall not pass… without giving me those digits.”
7. “You must be Frodo Baggins, because I’m the One and you’ve got me wrapped around your finger.”
8. “Watch out–I’m about to rescue you from Lonely Mountain.”
9. “Well, Sauron’s gonna be after me now–I think I’ve found the One.”
10. “Are there Orcs nearby? Because you’re simply glowing tonight.”
11. “My feet are as big as a hobbit’s, and you know what they say about big feet.”
And possibly the most enticing for any true Hobbit-enthusiast:
12. “I’m looking for someone to share in an adventure.”
Of course, the more straightforward suitor could simply ask out the eligible stranger for a casual second breakfast. As Pippin would attest, there’s no better first date than a second breakfast.
Pearl does a variety of media-related tasks at Sporcle, including blog writing, video production, and social media maintenance. She does research on penguins, enjoys snail mucus in her skincare, and once turned herself Sporcle Orange from eating too many carrots.