This is part of Sporcle’s long-running series highlighting our hard-working curators. Curators are editors for a specific subcategory, and their diligent work finding great quizzes from their subcategories (and sometimes others) helps to shape the site. We asked our curators to complete an interview of sorts, and we’re sharing their responses here on the blog.
1) How did you first get involved with playing Sporcle?
When I was eleven years of age, I received an owl through my window from Professor McRammegall, head of Sporcledor House, bearing a letter that told me I had been accepted into Sporcwarts School of Quizcraft and Quizzardry.
In reality, I can’t actually remember what happened. I think I stumbled across it whilst browsing the internet randomly, signed up within the day, made my first quiz within the week… and the rest is history, as they say.
2) What are your favorite published quizzes from your subcategory?
From my current subcategory, mixed word, my favourite quiz is The Sporcler’s Apprentice II by sproutcm. It’s a great Sporcle classic, and a sequel that is just as good as the first.
3) What are your favorite contributed quizzes from your subcategory?
I don’t really have one from mixed word – I have quite a few I can’t decide between, so instead I’ll pick from definition, one of my former subcategories – JoeBeta’s “Non-Existent Words Without IM“.
4) What are your favorite published quizzes from an entirely different category?
6) Are there any quizzes you’ve made that didn’t get the attention you were hoping for?
Yes, but I won’t highlight them here. (Though if you’d like to visit my page, please do). Although some of my earliest quizzes deserved the lack of attention they received!
7) Who’s a user whose games you think deserves more attention?
SerbianKnight, an excellent but overlooked creator, who definitely deserves more attention. Also, Aprilli, Finland’s rising Sporcling star. Finally, whilst it’s not a user, I’d check out the RIYECHI puzzle series – a great invention by one of our better-known quiz makers mrsmith.