The countdown is over and those jerseys in your closets can finally see the light of your television screen again. That’s right, friends, the World Cup is back!
Thirty-two teams, eight groups, and one cup. It’s pretty much the Battle Royale of football and it’s no doubt that it’s the most watched sporting event in the world.
Here at Sporcle, we’re just as excited as you are. We have tons of quizzes for you to try out during the half or between games.
It’s only a week into the tournament, but we’ve already seen some impressive moments:
- Van Persie’s amazing header goal against Spain
- The Netherlands totally obliterating Spain (5-1)
- Clint Dempsey’s goal against Ghana in the first 30 seconds
- Memo Ochoa’s amazing goalie skills in the tied Brazil vs Mexico game (0-0)
- Germany’s 100th World Cup game win against Portugal (4-0)
- Pepe’s red card for headbutting Müller in the Portugal vs Germany game
On the Sidelines
The way the U.S. team played their first game was surprising. Don’t get me wrong we all have our soft spot for the U.S. (even though they usually don’t get too far into the finals) but this year anyone can see they want to prove themselves to the other contenders.
Top Dogs so Far
Germany and the Netherlands are on fire being the only two teams to score 4 goals or more in a match so far. It wouldn’t be surprising to see these two teams go very far into the finals or even making it to the final. Both teams have powerhouse players and play with such intensity.
Here’s to an exciting World Cup. Because there’s nothing like being glued to your couch filled with anxiety for a month; you’ve been waiting four years for this.