Can you name the commonly accepted country name alternatives and acronyms in Sporcle?
- Enter a country name alternative in the box below
- Correctly named country name alternatives will show up below
- Answers do not have to be guessed in order
- This quiz consistes of two categories of country name abbreviations: ones commonly accepted in published Sporcle quizzes, and new proposed abbreviations covering all the multi-word countries.
- Source: Countries of the World quiz published by Sporcle
- The rules for the proposed multi-word abbreviations (which now include oceans and seas) are very simple: use the first letter of each word in the common Sporcle name of the country to compose the acronym. Omit insignificant words: "and", "of", and "the". There are eleven exceptions to this rule: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, El Salvaldor, Equatorial Guinea, Marshall Islands, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, Sierra Leone, and Sri Lanka. For these exceptions the abbreviation is merely the first word of the multi-word country name: Bosnia, Costa, Czech, Dominican, El, Equatorial, Marshall, Saudi, Solomon, Sierra, and Sri. These exceptions, which are necessary to eliminate conflicts with other abbreviations, are noted in the quiz by an asterisk. I was unable to come up with an acceptable abbreviation for South Africa or St Lucia. Abbreviate with Confidence™ All of my quizzes use both the commonly accepted Sporcle country name alternatives and the multi-word abbreviations (http://www.sporcle.com/user/tahitiwahini/contributed). The Border Country Biathlon and Border Country Marathon are good ones to look at to see how these abbreviations work in practice:
- This quiz has not been verified by Sporcle
Popular trivia games today