Just For Fun
Games to Consider
iPhone & iPad
Locations & Scores
Can you name the numbers in this particular hailstone sequence (see note)?
Quiz not verified by Sporcle
Multi-Category Minefield Blitz II
Click the Correctly Spelled 'K'ountry
Consonant Ending Africa
'L' Entertainment Images
Countries of Antarctica
Rate 5 stars
Rate 4 stars
Rate 3 stars
Rate 2 stars
Rate 1 star
How to Play
Click the green button to start and enter the correct answers below
Here's how you get from one number to the next: if the current number is odd, multiply by three, then add one. If it's even, divide by two.
Enter '27', would you?
Since it's odd, multiply by 3 then add 1. What do you get?
82 is even, so divide by 2. Now what?
Odd! 41*3 + 1 = ?
Even! 124 ÷ 2 = ?
Even! 62 ÷ 2 = ?
31*3 + 1 = ?
(You were at 94.) Get it?
(47) Can you keep doing this?
(142) I'll keep printing the last number, okay?
(71) Have you noticed the question marks?
(214) Do they bother you?
(107) Would you believe I feel the same?
(322) Is there a way to turn them off?
(484) You know what?
(242) I'm just gonna ignore them. ?
(121) If you'll kindly keep your eyes?
(364) pointed at the entry box,?
(182) you'll have no trouble scrolling?
(91) and you won't be annoyed by the?
(274) question marks. Everyone wins!?
(137) Now that that's settled,?
(412) I'll let you work in silence for a bit.?
(263) I bet you got excited by that 700, right??
(790) I've got some good news and bad news.?
(395) That bad news you're noticing now:?
(1186) these numbers get pretty big!?
(593) The good news is that, eventually?
(1780) (and I'm talking pretty long-term here)?
(890) they'll calm down.?
(1336) Ooh, just one shy of greatness.?
(668) The neighbor of the beast!?
(334) 334.... I got nothing.?
(167) Am I annoying you??
(502) Okay. More silence.?
(958) I'm back!?
(479) Sorry about this one.?
(1438) Whew! Good work.?
(719) Uh oh.?
(2158) Spoiler: this part hurts.?
(1079) Just squeeze my hand if you get scared.?
(3238) Think happy thoughts.?
(1619) Or just think about arithmetic.?
(4858) Interesting fact!?
(2429) The number you're about to type RIGHT NOW?
(7288) is (was) merely the second largest.?
(3644) Hopefully you didn't injure yourself.?
(1822) If so, there's probably someone you can call.?
(2734) Another bit of climbing here.?
(1367) The worst is almost over!?
(4102) I swear.?
(2051) Like, three more steps.?
(6154) Almost there.?
(3077) One more step to the top!?
(9232) I can see my house from here!?
(2308) Smooth sailing from here on out.?
(1154) Relatively, anyway.?
(577) I'll let you enjoy the quiet for a bit.?
(244) Too easy! Am I right??
(122) Now that we're in the easy section,?
(61) I can tell you a bit about this problem.?
(184) It's kind of famous!?
(92) Basically, there was a dude named Collatz.?
(46) A little over seventy years ago,?
(23) he started doing what you're doing now.?
(70) He noticed that wherever he started,?
(35) eventually he'd get to one particular pattern.?
(106) For ages people have tried to prove?
(53) that this always happens.?
(160) And indeed, as far as we can tell, it does.?
(80) (Though sometimes it takes a long time.)?
(40) (Like when you start with 27.)?
(20) But anyway, the (unproven) point is,?
(10) no matter where you start,?
(5) EVENTUALLY, you'll end up?
(16) with the same three repeating numbers?
(8) and they are:?
(1) One! One more time:?
(1) One! Thanks for playing! Enter a 4 to finish.?
You haven't played this game yet.
You Might Also Like...
Planets from the Sun
3 Letter Body Parts
(warning: may contain spoilers)
Created May 16, 2010
Top Games Today in Science
Super Science Bunker II
Top Games with Similar Tags
3 Letter Body Parts
Planets from the Sun
Minute Math (Addition)
Top User Games in Science
Pick the Trees (clickable)
Animals That Don't Eat Animals
Five-Letter Body Parts (Images)
Wild Cats of the World
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Google+
2007-15 © Sporcle, Inc.
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties
Go to the Sporcle.com Mobile Site →