report this ad
Just For Fun
Games to Consider
Create a Quiz
Add a New Topic
Locations & Scores
Become a Host
/ Supreme Court & Equality Cases 4
Can you name the Supreme Court & Equality Cases 4?
Quiz not verified by Sporcle
Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield
30 Second Logic Puzzle
First Names in Movies?
Odd But True Facts XI
'M' in Europe
Rate 5 stars
Rate 4 stars
Rate 3 stars
Rate 2 stars
Rate 1 star
ADD to PLAYLIST
Notable Deaths (1962-2011)
Supreme Court Case
Company guilty of ‘sexual stereotyping’ for not making her partner; not able to show that they would have made the same decision if she were a man
- Murphy says the government must show that the person took the oath of citizenship fraudulently in order to revoke it (denaturalize someone)
- Looks at literacy tests in Alabama – obviously geared to prevent blacks from voting, so stopped
Challenges UT law – in order to become adult, male must be 18, girl 21; Court strikes down law – no legitimate state interest; breaks equal protection clause of 14th
Court gave its approval to the concept of separate but equal facilities for whites & blacks
Court held slaves must abide by law of the state in which they were residing. If in a slave state, they were slaves.
- Justice White says Jews also can use the 1866 Civil Rights Act to challenge discrimination against them
- Texas funding of public schools using property taxes is constitutional, rational; state has substantial interest in education
School board guilty of discrimination after firing someone who had contagious tuberculosis
- Stanley Reed – doesn’t matter if Democratic party is called a private party or not, all elections are governed by the same rules; 15th amendment holds – white primaries his
Overturned TX law denying free public school education to illegal alien children
Held that a black was entitled to be tried by a jury from which blacks had not been excluded bc of their race.
- CT says you must live in state a year to be eligible for welfare;Warren says violates equal protection and right to travel between states
- Unanimously says restricted housing covenants are unenforceable by courts; violation of 14th amendment
Upheld Congress' limiting registering for the draft to males only
Supreme Court Case
- Navy said if a woman gets passed on twice for promotion, must be out after 13 yrs service, men after 9 yrs: says this is okay – since men had easier time getting promoted, wome
- City’s ‘set aside’ program for contracts for minority owned businesses breaks EP clause of 14th amend. bc theres no legit city interest.
Affirm. Action; 1College quota admission system violated EP Clause of 14thAmend. 2.Race can be used to achieve educational diversity
Powell, 5-4, 5-4
invalidated PA personal liberty laws which interfered w return of slaves; upheld Fugitive Slave Act
- Voting rights act IS constitutional; 15th amend says you can’t stop someone from voting because of race; section 2 says Congress can pass necessary enforcement legislation
- Can an Arab person file a racial discrimination suit under the 1866 Civil Rights Act? White writes unanimous decision – yes, of course Arabs are included.
Says state law trumps right to privacy–too large in size & structure to be considered private; not letting women into chapter hurts them professionally & economically
Held that the EP Clause is based on race & people have right not to be excluded from juries due to race. Extended 'Batson' from 6 yrs b4
ID law automatically giving husband preference in executing son’s estates over wife – breaks EP clause of 14th Amend.
- Hiring policy-if you have young minors at home and are a women, we will not hire you: per curium opinion: obvious violation of title 7 of the 1964 civil rights act
Upheld use of 1866 Civil Rights Act to stop a private school from practicing racial segregation; state to enforce a contract would be in violation of 14th amend EP clause.
- Court says they don’t see how it is right to treat naturalized citizens differently than other citizens – says the law implies naturalized citizens are less reliable and less
- Court says she claims she was sexually harassed, this has nothing to do with the contract – once you have the job, s-h has nothing to do with signing contract that has already
- SC wrote procerum opinion – said OK can’t stop blacks from attending law school if they don’t have another for them; Breaks equal protection clause of 14th amendment
report this ad
You're not logged in!
Compare scores with friends on all Sporcle quizzes.
Connect with Facebook
Connect with Google
Sign Up with Email
You Might Also Like...
Chief Justices (US)
US Supreme Court Justices
US Politicians Sorting Blitz
(warning: may contain spoilers)
Top Games Today in History
Three Images: Guess the Historical Figure II
Historical People A-Z III
Top Games with Similar Tags
Supreme Court Justice or New York Yankee?
US Supreme Court (Redux)
One Justice Per Letter
Top User Games in History
1960s World Leaders Names Match-up
Revolution by Three Causes
US Presidential Election Bunker
GCSE Nazi Germany Revision Clickable
Your Account Isn't Verified!
In order to create a playlist on Sporcle, you need to verify the email address you used during registration. Go to your
to finish the process.
report this ad
mentally stimulating diversions
Quizzes for your site
Report a Problem
Copyright © 2007-2016 Sporcle, Inc.
Go to the Sporcle.com Mobile Site →