1. Reed Hastings was inspired to start Netflix after racking up a $40 late fee on a VHS copy of Apollo 13.
2. Netflix become the first original online programming service to earn a Golden Globe.
Robin Wright won Best Actress in a Drama Television Series award for her portrayal of Claire Underwood in House of Cards.
3. Netflix is watched more than any cable network in the United States with more than 40 million streaming members.
Almost 30% of US Homes with a TV subscribe to Netflix
4. Netflix launched a contest with a prize of $1 million dollars in October 2006 to improve the Netflix movie recommendation system by 10 percent.
It was awarded 3 years later to three teams — an AT&T Research Team called BellKor, commendo’s team BigChaos, and Pragmatic Theory – who joined forces to win.
5. Netflix considers Canada as “Third World” in Broadband Internet rating.
6. Netflix streaming accounts for almost 1/3 of all internet traffic (downstream traffic) in the US.
That’s more than YouTube, iTunes, Amazon Video, and Facebook.
8. Blockbuster turned down an offer to buy Netflix for as low as $50 million in 2000.
Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and closed the last of its remaining stores in November of 2013.
9. There’s more British stand-up on US Netflix than on UK Netflix.
10. In March of 2013, Netflix announced a Facebook sharing feature to the Netflix interface.
This lets subscribers in the U.S. see “Watched by your friends” and “Friends’ Favorites” once they agree to share. This was not legal until the 1988 Video Privacy Protection Act was modified at the beginning of 2013.
11. In 2011, Netflix announced it was going to split the company into two businesses, with Netflix being the streaming movie business and the DVD-by-mail service would be renamed Qwikster.
They abandoned plans do to this the following month after an outcry from customers.