Get ready for BACK TO SPORCLE!
BACK TO SPORCLE is a week to remember all the reasons you love Sporcle. The best quizzes of the summer will be posted on our homepage and Facebook page. Daily blog posts will give you tips and ideas for new ways to use Sporcle. And contests will give you the chance to stretch your creativity for some huge public recognition. We couldn’t be more excited, and we hope you’ll join the fun!
Next week, join us to celebrate fall, the new school year, and Sporcle trivia at its finest.
What to expect:
- Blog: daily posts, contests, and more!
- Facebook: top quizzes, polls, and the quirky humor you love
- Site: an amazing quiz line-up, college leader-board news, and the 10,000th published quiz
Who doesn't love fall???
We know our readers love the internet just as much as we do, so we think you might want to see some of the links that are being passed around at Sporcle HQ each and every day. Just make sure to let us know about any links we might have missed in the comments. Enjoy the clickable carnage below!
- Did you know that Sporcle is running a blogging contest? We’re giving away an iPod Nano to one lucky user who blogs about Sporcle and lets us know about it. [Wanna win an iPod Nano]
- FOX is considering creating a channel filled entirely with episodes of the Simpsons. According to Slashfilm you can run Simpsons episodes 24 hours a day for 11 days without airing a repeat. That’s a lot of d’ohs. [Slashfilm]
- Monday is Talk like a Pirate Day. To get yourself prepared, you really need to spend the weekend whittling yourself a peg leg. [International Talk Like a Pirate Day]
- Amy Poehler was born today in 1971, and this just reminds us that Parks and Recreation, one of the best shows on TV, is debuting it’s new season next week. If you’re not watching this show, we urge you to finish this post and then visit their website right away. [Parks and Recreation]
- For your random and amazing Sporcle quiz of the day, we’ve selected Cereal in Milk. Let us explain the real problem with cereal. It’s very often that when you go to make a bowl of cereal, the cereal/milk ratio is slightly off, so you maybe add a little more cereal, then you find yourself without enough milk, so you add a little milk, then you have to add a little more cereal to compensate. Due to this effect, we’ve been eating the same bowl of cereal for 15 years.
We’re pleased to announce the winner of our contest to win an Amazon Kindle. The lucky winner out of over 2,600 entries was tconti720. She let us know that her favorite quiz on Sporcle is either the Periodic Table quiz or the Harry Potter Top 200. In case you’re curious, the first book she plans on downloading is The Complete Plays of Shakespeare. We think that’s pretty appropriate considering just how many quizzes we have covering the Bard’s work.
Thanks to everyone who entered, and check back here on the Sporcle Blog for future contest details.
THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. Congrats to our contest winner!
Play Famous Foursomes and you just might win an Amazon Kindle!
Here’s the deal: On Saturday July 23rd, play the Sporcle game: Famous Foursomes. To be eligible to win, just log-in as a verified user and play that game. We will randomly pick one lucky winner from any of the Sporcle users who have played the game to win an Amazon Kindle.
Note: You must actually play the game to qualify.
BUT WAIT there’s more! If any of your Sporcle Friends play the Famous Foursomes you receive additional entries for their game plays! So if you have 30 Sporcle Friends who play, you get 30 more entries…pretty cool huh. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received, so spread the word!
To get ready, do the following:
How to enter:
- Play the game of the day (Famous Foursomes) as a verified logged-in user.
- The Game of the Day is considered played when either a registered and verified logged-in website entrant plays the Game to completion, or Sponsor receives an alternative e-mail entry during the time of the contest.
- Be a resident of the United States. Legally, we’re not able to run contests outside of the US, so this contest is only available to US residents. We blame our lawyers for this one.
- Participants may receive additional entries for every one of their Sporcle Friends who play the game of the day.
- Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
- Check out our official rules.
We were very excited to pass the 500,000,000 game play mark back on April 23rd. We were hoping to pass the mark before then, but an unexpected Amazon outage threw us off course a bit. Of course, we had a ton of users sign up for accounts and feverishly play away, but we only had one winner, a user named Ragnar.
Ragnar was introduced to Sporcle by a high school teacher (like many Sporcle users) and is a huge fan of our Eastern Roman Emperors quiz. He’s a history buff who loves the Byzantine Empire, Vikings and Medieval Europe. Sporcle cravings can strike at any time, and we bet he’s pretty glad he sat down to play a few quizzes on a Saturday afternoon.
We here at Sporcle are excited to conclude our first contest, and hope to add more countries and prizes to contests in the future. We’re also plenty excited to pass the 500 million play mark and we’re hoping to hit 1 billion sooner rather than later.
Thanks to everyone out there who’s played a Sporcle quiz. We really appreciate it.